By Craig L. Symonds
From thunderous broadsides traded among wood crusing ships on Lake Erie, to the provider battles of worldwide conflict II, to the devastating high-tech motion within the Persian Gulf, here's a gripping heritage of 5 key battles that outlined the evolution of naval warfare--and the process the yank kingdom.
Acclaimed army historian Craig Symonds deals spellbinding narratives of an important engagements, exhibiting how each one conflict unearths the transformation of know-how and weaponry from one struggle to the following; how those in flip remodeled naval strive against; and the way every one occasion marked a milestone in American historical past.
- Oliver chance Perry's heroic victory at Lake Erie, one of many final nice battles of the Age of Sail, which secured the Northwestern frontier for the United States
- The brutal Civil struggle duel among the ironclads Monitor and Virginia, which sounded the dying knell for wooden-hulled warships and doomed the Confederacy's wish of besting the Union navy
- Commodore Dewey's attractive triumph at Manila Bay in 1898, the place the U.S. displayed its "new army" of steel-hulled ships firing explosive shells and wrested an empire from a fading eu energy
- The hairsbreadth American victory at halfway, the place plane providers introduced planes opposed to enemies two hundred miles away--and the place the tide of worldwide struggle II grew to become within the house of some livid minutes
- Operation Praying Mantis within the Persian Gulf, the place desktops, ship-fired missiles, and "smart bombs" not just replaced the character of conflict at sea, but in addition marked a brand new period, and a brand new accountability, for the United States.
Symonds files those encounters intimately so vibrant that readers can pay attention the wind within the rigging and consider the pounding of the weapons. but he locations each conflict in a large standpoint, revealing their value to America's improvement because it grew from a brand new Republic at the fringe of a threatening frontier to a world superpower.
Decision at Sea is a strong and illuminating examine pivotal moments within the background of the military and of the U.S.. it's also a compelling research of the unchanging calls for of management at sea, the place commanders needs to make speedy judgements within the warmth of conflict with lives--and the destiny of nations--hanging within the balance.